Sunday, January 1, 2012

The first day of 2012

Well, I didn't make it to watch the "ball drop" in NYC. I ended up in bed and asleep by 11:30. But, I did get a good nights sleep and woke up in 2012 feeling good!!

Since then, I've been doing a lot of thinking. My Dad and his Mom (Grandma) had a New Years day tradition. They would go fishing, and even if they didn't catch anything, they would at least "get the hook wet". Well, today my son, father and I went fishing. We had such a great time. We caught a lot of fish, however, we just put them all back in the water. None of them were big enough to keep. Anyway, while I was there, watching the water flow, I was thinking. Something that I tend to do too much of.

First of all, I am 100% better than I was last year, this time. But why am I still suffering from such terrible depression? I don't have the physical pain of it any longer (thank God!), but I'm still getting depressed and feeling so inadequate.

On another, brighter note - I have been reading all of your posts and noticed that everyone has picked a word that you are going to use to help you carry on, on your journey. I need a word.

Well, with many different words scoured, I found this one:


First reason: The "Southern" definition of Grits is: Girls Raised In The South

Second reason: Webster defines Grit as: (pay special attention to the bold/italic phrases and words)


grit:  noun \ˈgrit\
Definition of GRIT
1: a : sand, gravel; b : a hard sharp granule (as of sand); also : material (as many abrasives) composed of such granules.
2: any of several sandstones
3:a : the structure of a stone that adapts it to grinding; b : the size of abrasive particles usually expressed as their mesh
4: firmness of mind or spirit : unyielding courage in the face of hardship or danger

Related to GRIT
Synonyms: backbone, constancy, fiber, fortitude, grittiness, guts, intestinal fortitude, pluck, spunk


2 comments:

  1. Great word, and New Years tradition. Depression sucks, I suffered from it for years, and it is always just over my shoulder lurking. No fun. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your word! Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete

My Loves

My Loves
JJ and Jack!