Saturday, October 8, 2011

Post Op Day 1 and 2 am feeling very discouraged

Thursday, October 6 at 9am was my surgery. All went well according to the Dr. Went through 2 stages of recovery and then I was home by 4:30.( I will post more about my surgery experience when I'm sober) I don't really feel like I was ready to come home. My first night home, I just rested and took pain meds. Then on Friday, which I am calling Post Op day 1, I was home, sipping clear liquids, napping, walking, breathing in my little machine, etc. Nausea hasn't been too bad and I've just been sipping clear liquids. Well,, I keep having the headaches and hot flashes and figured that was because I hadn't taken my Cymbalta since Wednesday night, and the Dr's PA told me that I shouldn't have any trouble swallowing it, for me to just take it easy. So, down it went, will a few sips of water. Within minutes, I think I felt the "sliming" that I hear everyone talking about - the feeling of imminent vomitus rage - well, I took a few more sips of water and the feeling subsided, so I thought I was in the clear. I went back and laid down to get ready to go to bed. Within about 20 minutes, here comes the urge again, but followed by actual dry heaves - I haven't had the dry heaves in forever, but they hurt so bad - I started crying and I just couldn't stop - and nothing actually came up. So, after that was over, I sat at the edge of the bed for a minute and then laid down and fell asleep. This morning, Post Op Day 2, I woke up to the "green apple trotts" - yes, I had/have diarrhea -- sorry, TMI, I know, but I'm relying on you lovely ladies for your advice. So, I'm wondering if this is from the surgery and no BM before surgery, or if all of this is from the damn Cymbalta?! I can't live without the Cymbalta right now, or at least I can't come off of it right now - I'm at a loss.

And then, there is this feeling like I might burg, and then I have this pain/slight nausea in my chest - is this going to be like this forever? I'm really feeling beaten here - and I have no one to blame but myself.

S.O.S - Some one please help me?!

6 comments:

  1. It will get better, I promise! I had the dry heaves for the first few days after surgery when taking any type of pill (pain medication, sleeping pills) and I had horrible caffeine withdrawal which led to headaches. You will feel lousy for the first week, but each day you should feel a little less lousy. I had diarrhea after surgery, but I had the runs for two weeks prior to surgery (nerves and a two week vacation in Tunisia that let my stomach in quite a state).... hang in there and if you have any questions dont hesitate sending me an email (fatfishskinnysea at g mail dot com) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a dry heave moment too (I think it was day 2 post op for me)... all of the weird pains and aches kind of freaked me out at first too, I was thinking what the heck did I do to myself??? I know you are probably already feeling better, but if not just hang in there, make sure you are taking the pain meds BEFORE the pain sets in and if you continue to feel nausea call your doctor for some anti-nausea meds.
    It will get better, I swear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't speak about the dry heaves because that didn't happen to me but I can tell you that there seems to be two camps as far as post-surgical bowel movements go...some people are constipated and others have diarreha. Like you, I feel into the second camp. After dealing with it for about 2 weeks I finally called my nutritionist and she just said to do my best to stay hydrated (sip on liquids all day long) and that once I added mushies into my diet it would go away...it took about 3 weeks total but it did finally go away.

    Hang in there...I promise, it does get better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ditto what everyone else said. It DOES get better, so hang in there! Be very careful and gentle on your body. Remember the "owie" feeling when you drank that water and remember that if you eat solid foods too soon (before the swelling on your tummy goes away) it's going to be even worse! So be sure to follow the doctor's post-op diet very carefully! Hang in there! It does sound like everything you are experiencing is normal.
    Christine
    www.phoenixrevolution.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to see you are having a rough time of it. The thing that brought me back down to earth when I was really feeling discouraged, and regretting the surgery, was "It's worth it. You know it is." Not only are you doing yourself such a wonderful deed, but your doing one for your son too! I believe in you Bubba! "It gets better before it gets worse," unfortunately. And when I find the guy who let those words slip from his mouth... I'll punch him out, for the both of us =)

    Hang in there tough nut!

    ReplyDelete

My Loves

My Loves
JJ and Jack!